The biggest advantage of having an audible membership is that you can download audible books to every device. That gives you the freedom to listen to these audiobooks offline everywhere.
Irrespective of the operating system you have or whether you have a desktop or phone, you can keep your purchased audiobooks to such devices forever. In this article, I will explain how you can make the download successfully.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to download audible audiobooks?
- 2 Buy and download audible audiobooks on iPhone or iPad
- 3 Buy and download audible audiobooks on android phone
- 4 Buy and download audible audiobooks on windows computer or PC
- 5 How to buy and download audible audiobooks on Mac?
- 6 Download Free Audiobooks from Amazon (for Prime Members)
- 7 FAQs
How to download audible audiobooks?
It is easy for any experienced listeners but may sound daunting for new users. Fear not! I am here to help you 🙂
The mechanism for downloading is the same for a Mac or Windows 10 user. Even if you own an iPhone or Android phone, it works the same way with a little bit of exception.
Luckily, I have covered everything. So, stay with me, and let’s dive in!
Buy and download audible audiobooks on iPhone or iPad
Let’s start with the small devices first. Yes, you can buy and download audiobooks from audible with your iPhone or iPad. To make things easier, you need to install the audible app first.
The app will let you browse the library conveniently and you can add any book you like to your wishlist.
However, you can’t use the app to buy books directly. You have to use the browser. Now, if you are wondering why…let me explain.
Apple charges a 30% fee for any payments users make using the app store apps. That’s a huge pain for Amazon. So, you will have to use the browser instead to buy books.
More so, even if you don’t have the audible app installed on your iOS devices, you can buy audiobooks directly browsing the official mobile website. Now, login to your account.
If you have credits to your membership, you can use those credits to buy books. All your purchased audiobooks are readily available for download. Follow the steps:
- Go to Audible.com via your iPhone/iPad and log in to your account. You can use the Safari web browser. Find the books you want to buy (you can use the search bar).
- If you are already a member, scroll down and press the ‘Buy Now with 1 Credit’ button. For non-members, there is a ‘Buy Now for $[price]’ button to pay directly via credit/debit card.
- When everything is right, press the ‘Confirm Purchase’ button the audiobook will be added to your Audible Library for downloading and listening.
- Open the Audible app from your iPhone and log in using your credentials.
- Go to the My Library tab and from there, tap the Cloud tab.
- If you tab on any of the book’s title, it will start downloading your book.
- Lastly, click the Ready to Play tab to listen to your downloaded audiobooks!
You can follow the same steps for your iPad too.
Here is another way to buy audible audiobooks on your iPhone or iPad.
As you can see, even if you are an iOS user, it’s not too difficult to buy and download your audiobooks using the browser.
Not just audible audiobooks, you can’t buy any books for your Kindle too directly using the app. You must use the official Amazon website.
Buy and download audible audiobooks on android phone
First, you have to download the Android app from the Amazon official website. Go here to download it. The app comes with a lot of features and benefits like the following:
- There is a collection of 4,25,000 audiobooks including audible Originals and podcasts. You can browse this vast library with the app.
- The same app will let your download all of your purchased books and you can listen to them at your pace.
- It features WhisperSync for Voice; meaning switching between reading and listening is even more convenient. But you will have to have a Kindle device to rip the full benefits of it.
Now, follow the step by step guide to download books from audible using your Android phone:
- Log in with the audible app. You will find the mobile menu located at the top left corner of the app.
- Press the Menu bar and go to the Library section.
- Press the titles and select All.
- Tap on the cover page of any audiobook you like to download.
- Your book will start downloading momentarily.
Buy and download audible audiobooks on windows computer or PC
A large number of audible members use the desktop and depending on your situation, it may be where you spend most of your time. So, let’s see how you can buy your books with a windows computer.
- Mac or Windows, does not matter, brose the audible website and login to your account. You can use your Amazon account to login audible too. In that case, your Kindle device will automatically connect to the audible account.
- Hover over the site navigation and browse the “Browse audible” option to find your desired audiobooks.
- If you have just created your new audible account, you can buy one for free. If you are already a member and have credits, use your credit to buy your desired audiobooks. Use your credit/debit card if you don’t have any subscription plan.
- Whatever your payment option is, as soon as you add any book to the shopping cart, you are just a few clicks away from buying and downloading your books.
- Upon completion of your payment, your book is ready to be listened to and downloaded.
Now that, you have purchased your audiobook, you can download audible books to PC for offline listening.
As a Windows user, you must have the audible download manager installed on your PC to be able to download audiobooks from audible.
Follow the step by step guide:
- You will find all of your purchased audiobooks under the “My Books” section of your account. To find that section, you must click the “My Library” first.
- Choose your books and their audio format. To download in mp3 player format, choose the Format 4.
- Click the “Download” button.
- If you are using Windows and you have already installed the audible manager, your downloaded file will be named “admhelper.adh”. You can transfer this book to any linked devices of yours too.
How to buy and download audible audiobooks on Mac?
The buying process of audiobooks from the audible is the same for both the Windows and Mac users. However, downloading your purchased books is very easy and less complex if you own a Mac. It takes a few clicks only!
However, if this is the first time you are using your Mac to download audiobooks, you will have to authorize your account first. Just once!
Follow the steps:
- Login to your account and go to the Library page from your Mac.
- You will find all your purchased books there. Click the Download button located on the right side of each book to initiate the download.
- Look at the bottom of your Mac screen to see the download progress. Once the download is complete, go to the Audiobooks section of your iTunes. For iOS devices, your book will be downloaded in AA/AAX format NOT. adh format.
- However, if your iOS version is 10.15 or later, you will find your downloaded books under the Audiobooks section of Apple Books.
- Now, you can synchronize your other iOS devices to access the newly downloaded book.
Download Free Audiobooks from Amazon (for Prime Members)
If you already have a Prime membership, you can enjoy Amazon’s Prime Reading program benefits. Prime Reading works just like a private library that you can enjoy completely free!
Apart from reading, there are dozens of audiobooks available for listening while you cooking or running. And yes, you can download them for free too.
To access the Prime Reading program, you must have a Fire tablet or a Kindle E-reader. For iOS or Android users, they can install the Kindle app for free too. Follow the steps to download such free audiobooks:
- Assuming you have a Prime membership, log in to your Amazon account.
- Go to amazon.com/primereading
- Browse the vast collection of free audiobooks. Click the “Read And Listen For Free” button to download any books you like.
- Your download will be available momentarily.
Yes. Your purchased audiobooks are yours to do whatever you like and that includes downloading to any mobile or desktop device.
Apart from the technical glitch, sometimes it takes a longer time for the books to appear in the library. Also, did you get your purchase confirmation yet? If nothing solves your problem, contact the customer service FAST.
You can transfer any downloaded audiobooks to flash drive so that you can play them with the car stereo.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to download audible books to your mobile or desktop devices. That’s the reason no matter where you are, you can still listen to your audiobooks both offline and online.