It happens a lot when we need to take a break from everything, even from listening to the audiobooks! Many reasons may lead to that decision luckily there are plenty of ways on how to cancel an Audible membership.
But the membership comes with credits. What will happen to those credits if you cancel your plan? Like this, I have talked about lots of such questions in this in-depth article. Stay put!
Table of Contents
- 1 Some Reasons for Cancelling an Audible Subscription
- 2 Before You Cancel Your Audible Subscription
- 3 How to Cancel Audible Membership Manually?
- 4 Some Alternatives to Audible
- 5 Things to Consider Before You Cancel Audible Subscription
- 6 How to Pause/Hold Audible Membership?
Some Reasons for Cancelling an Audible Subscription
Of course, our reasons will vary one to another but people do cancel their plan now and then. Not necessarily they were unhappy with the Audible contents, most of the time it’s just personal.
Here are some common reasons why people do that:
- Lots of unused credits piled up.
- Not enough time for audiobooks for any sudden change in life.
- Tight budget due to out of job suddenly.
- Better alternatives with economic plans.
- And many more.
Before You Cancel Your Audible Subscription
There are some factors that you need to think about first before terminating your plan. Both Amazon and Audible encourage their subscribers to think about these first before hitting the cancel button. And here are those factors:
- Use all of your unused credits before you think about canceling your plan. You can’t transfer those unused plans to anyone and they will also get canceled along with your canceled plan.
- The ownership of your purchased audiobooks is yours forever. So, even after your subscription plan cancellation, you can keep listening to them.
- You do not need to cancel any prepaid plan. Such a plan will expire automatically as the time expires. You can only cancel the recurring monthly subscription plan.
- Use the desktop version of the official Audible website to cancel your subscription. You can’t do it using the Audible app from your smartphone, so I won’t be explaining how to cancel audible membership on phone. If you are just using the trial period, cancel it before the trial period ends. Cancel your membership plan before the beginning of your monthly/yearly payment cycle.
- Keep in mind that, you can still buy audiobooks without your subscription plan using your debit/credit card.
How to Cancel Audible Membership Manually?
To keep it convenient for everyone, they have introduced many ways to cancel any membership. You can do it both offline and online. You can do it yourself or take help from customer care representatives.
Here are some common ways explained in detail:
Cancel Audible Membership Over the Phone Call
Yes, you heard right. You can terminate your plan over the phone. Call 1 (888) 283-5051 (double-check the number from the official site first) to contact any customer rep from Audible.
Keep your login credentials with you before you make the call. Ask the rep to cancel your membership. The rep will ask your credentials.
If everything matches, the rep will close it on behalf of you. Once the plan is closed successfully, you will get an official email confirmation.
Cancel Audible Membership from A Web Browser
If you are in front of your desktop and have an internet connection, you can do it using the Safari or Chrome browser. Follow the steps:
- Login to your Audible account.
- Visit the ‘Account Details’ page.
- Go to the ‘View Membership Details’ section and click on the ‘Cancel Membership’ area.
- Select the reason for your cancellation.
- Follow the rest of the instructions.
- Once it is done, you will get a confirmation email.
Now, if you are wondering how to cancel Audible membership on Amazon, you can follow the same steps.
Cancel Audible Membership Via Email
Most people don’t use it, but yes you can still use your email to cancel your membership. Send your email to email@example.com requesting subscription cancellation. Provide your full name and login credentials. You will get a confirmation email within a day or two.
Cancel Audible Membership with DoNotPay
As I said above, you can’t use your phone app to cancel the membership. Even with the official website, it takes time to make it happen. The support team can’t process the cancellation request on the same day too.
To solve all the problems above, you can use DoNotPay. It takes a few minutes to complete the process and you can use your phone. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the cancellation URL of DoNotPay from your web browser. Alternatively, you can use the iOS app for your iPhone.
- After completing the preliminary requirements, select the ‘Find Hidden Money’.
- Now, you have to type Audible to find it.
- Once the cancellation is completed, they will send you an email confirming the termination.
Some Alternatives to Audible
If for some reason you don’t like the Audible but you still love listening to audiobooks, there are plenty of alternatives you can think about. To some audiobook fans, the cost of Audible is simply too high.
Here are 10 alternatives to Audible worth your time to explore:
- Audiobooks Now
It has a good collection of audiobooks. There are more than 85,000 audiobooks out there right now. And the subscription fee is much more affordable than Audible.
Of course, it does not have the same vast collection like Audible, but you can buy the same audiobook at a much lower price there!
Another advantage of Audiobooks Now is that most of their books are not DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. So, you don’t need the official app all the time to play such books.
- Nook Audiobooks
Launched by B&N (Barnes & Nobles), Nook Audiobooks has a 60,000 collection of titles. It’s a direct competitor to both the Kindle and Audible and a good one!
If you are not interested in a monthly fee system, Nook Audiobooks is a good choice. They don’t have any membership system and you have to pay for each book individually.
It’s an audiobook rental system. Meaning you won’t get the book forever. You will rent it and when you are done, you will have to return it. And all of their books are DRM free!
A perfect alternative to Audible with a collection of 150,000 eBooks, newspapers, audiobooks, and premium articles. So, to many audiobook fans, it’s better than Audible in some ways.
It has a membership plan with the credit system and the cost is much lower than Audible.
It’s a Canadian company with a collection of more than 100,000 titles that works just like Audible. So, yes it has the membership plan with credit system purchase. Sadly, it’s not cheap as Scribd or other Audible alternatives.
In addition to a good collection of audiobooks, there are music, movies, eBooks, and other collections too. It has also a membership system but there is no limit to the number of audiobooks you can enjoy.
Though most people like it for various types of media content, you will never own such books. Once you cancel your membership, you will no longer own your books.
- Serial Box
Think about it as the Netflix originals. They have in-house writers who produce many exciting short stories. So, it’s not your traditional Audible alternative but still a good choice for many.
Do you know you can find and read Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martine on eStories? It has more than 120,000 audiobooks in their collection and a perfect alternative to Audible.
Things to Consider Before You Cancel Audible Subscription
Now that you know everything about your subscription cancellation, I strongly recommend considering the following things before you hit the cancel button:
- Purchase your favorite audiobooks if you have unused credits in your account.
- Exchange your disliked books before the cancellation.
- If you have a costly plan, why not switch your plan to a much affordable plan?
- When you try to cancel your plan and give any plausible reason, Audible might offer you a special offer to continue!
- If you are planning to cancel your membership due to any unresolved issues with Audible, notify that to their support team before you cancel it.
How to Pause/Hold Audible Membership?
You can take a break without canceling your subscription for a long time. It’s a good option that Audible offers and you should think about it first. Here is how you can pause your plan:
- Go to the ‘Account Details’ page. Look at the top right corner of the app and you will see your name. Click on your name and you will find the page.
- Click on the ‘Membership Details’ from the drop-down menu.
- There will be a ‘Switch Membership’ and ‘Cancel Membership’ buttons. Click on the later button.
- You will be prompted with a screen to select your reason for cancellation. Click ‘Continue Cancelling’ from there.
- Now, you will get two options to choose from: Switch to another account or pause membership. Select the later one and follow the instructions.
- And you are done!
Another way to pause Audible Membership shows in this video:
You can keep your purchased audiobooks. But you should use your unused credits before the cancellation. After the cancellation, there will be no unused credits.
Yes, you will lose all of your unused credits. So, use them first!
No, but you can keep your membership on hold to keep your credits.
You can’t use Audible app to cancel it. But you can use their official website. There are other ways too. You just can’t do it on app.
As you can see, it’s easy to cancel an Audible membership, but you need to consider a lot of other factors. I strongly recommend keeping your account on pause instead of canceling it. Who knows what you might want in in the future?